Saturday, October 15, 2011

How To Train Your Dragon, Over-Evaluated

I like to analyze things. My top strength in the StrengthsQuest quiz was Input. This gift is in someone who likes to collect, categorize and share information. Although I might not have put it that way, whenever I look back on my life I can see that that observation is accurate. Whenever I enjoy, admire, or like something, I want to learn more about it and become an "expert" in that subject.
Anyway, I really like the movie How To Train Your Dragon. One day I stopped and asked myself, "Self? Why do you like that movie so much?" So I watched it again and began to analyze the themes and messages. I realized the reason I liked it: the relationships.

**SPOILER ALERT: Plot points and twists are discussed and revealed in the following blog. If you haven't seen the movie, you might not want to keep reading.**

Hiccup and Toothless: The relationship between Hiccup and Toothless is the most dynamic relationship of the movie. It begins with Hiccup deciding to not kill the dragon he captured, even though doing so would give him the one thing he wants more than anything else: to belong in his own home. The next step is accomplished by Toothless, who spares Hiccup's life after his human captor releases him. Whenever Hiccup learns that a dragon will always go for the kill, he has to ask himself, and the released dragon, "Why didn't you?". Astrid reflects this question back at Hiccup later in the movie, when she asks Hiccup why he didn't kill Toothless when he had the chance.
The turning point of the Toothless/Hiccup relationship for me was when Hiccup shows respect for Toothless by not stepping on the dragon's "drawing" in the ground. I feel that that respect grew into the love and devotion that we see later in the film. My favorite Toothless/Hiccup moment is during the slow motion sequence at the end of the fight with the huge "mother" dragon near the end of the movie. I love that as Hiccup fell into the fire, Toothless flew, his wings stretching and reaching for his friend, inviting the fire and the pain, excluding every thought except one: save Hiccup. The moment when we see that Hiccup is maimed like Toothless was an emotional one for me, because that is just one more way that they are now able to connect with each other.

Hiccup and his father: This relationship is the source of much of the conflict of the story. Hiccup can't live up to his father's expectations and his father doesn't understand the differences of his son's personality. Hiccup's loyalty to his father is refreshing. Even though Stoic is clearly in the wrong on a few occasions, Hiccup still wants to respect his father. My favorite moment is when Stoic says he was sorry for everything that happened. Hiccup doesn't respond with some snide comment, he just says he is sorry, too. Then when Stoic says that he is proud to call Hiccup his son, Hiccup is thankful. I think, in a way that doesn't take place on screen but I could see it happening off screen, Hiccup is validated as a man and a new kind of Viking because of his father's approval.

Hiccup and Astrid: Okay, first of all, I just like Astrid. I like her tough attitude and whenever she sees Toothless as Hiccup does, she is willing to adjust her misconceptions about dragons. My absolute, all-time favorite scene of the movie is when she goes to talk to Hiccup after the Vikings have left to hunt down the dragon nest. Using her influence, she inspires Hiccup to be the leader he can be. She reminds him of why he first spared Toothless. She asks him what he is going to do about his friend's captivity. She rallies the other recruits to help him. I love that scene because it is so honest and realistic. Behind every great man and his accomplishments is a woman whispering confidence into his ear. Astrid does that for Hiccup, and it makes me want to jump up and down and say "Yes! Thank you for a movie that inspires men to be great and women to help them, not because either are inferior, but because both are essential equals." I greatly appreciate this message and wish more movies would include it.

Toothless and Astrid/Stoic: I'll just briefly mention this because I feel that it's a great credit to the character and "humanness" of Toothless the dragon. With both Astrid and Stoic, he waits to befriend them until they say "I'm sorry". He shows Astrid a crazy ride, and then turns it into the best date ever after she apologizes. Toothless hides that he has managed to save Hiccup until Stoic says that he was wrong and he is sorry. I like that *thumbs up*

Gobber and Stoic: I love this totally masculine friendship between men. I am lucky enough that I grew up with a dad who had guy friends who were positive influences in his life. We get to see the workings of this kind of relationship with Gobber and Stoic. I like the honesty of their conversation early in the movie when Gobber convinces Stoic to place Hiccup in dragon training. My favorite moment of this relationship is during the final battle, when all seems hopeless and Stoic is determined to sacrifice himself for his people, and Gobber refuses to leave with the rest of the people. I love the raw strength of this relationship: two manly men willing to talk, fight, and die together. Great message, DreamWorks. I highly, very greatly, approve.

I hope that I didn't bore you with my over-analyzing tendencies. Rest assured that I did not get all of this stuff the first time I watched it. It was whenever I watched asking myself, "Why do I like this movie so much?" I feel like we see what we choose to look for. Always remember that in any place, situation, job, class, and relationship, you can find flaws. But if you choose to look for good things, you can find them. Just don't forget to look.

The Lord bless and keep you, may His face shine upon you and be gracious and give you peace. ~ Numbers 6:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment