Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Easier Said Than Done

I really don't like that cliche very much: "Easier said than done". I mean, it's true, but never really very helpful, because right after you say it you still have to do what you said would be hard to do. I guess I usually prefer to just do it instead of talking about how hard it's going to be.
With that in mind, it's kind of silly that I talked so long about how hard this would be that I ran out of time to actually do it.
But there have been times in my life that I've walked up to people and joined their group! The first week of school was like this. Meals were...interesting...and usually pretty quick because there weren't many people with whom to talk. I can name three times off the top of my head that I joined people who were by themselves. Once there was a guy by himself and when I asked if he was alone, he said, "Oh no, I've got some people coming." I just said "Oh" and kept going. He said it in a brisk tone, and when I sat down with some people I had met before, I commented on his tone. I don't know if he heard me, but a few minutes later he came over and said he was sorry for his tone, he was just surprised that I had offered and didn't mean to be rude. I told him I was grateful for his apology and said that it was okay, I understood. I can't remember his name and probably wouldn't recognize his face if I saw it again. But that experience will stay with me for a long time and always challenge me to consider and reconsider other people's feelings.
There was another time I sat down with a girl I had seen on my hall a lot of times but had never met, so I sat down with her even though she was wearing headphones and looked just as happy by herself. I knew that sometimes when I do something like that, I'm testing to see if there are people friendly enough to be willing to break through a few small walls. We had a great conversation and discovered that we have a few of the same interests and similar tastes in music. We haven't really talked much since then, but I am glad to know her and to have gotten to share a meal with her.

What I learned from those experiences is that being friendly is always rewarded. Even if you don't make a new friend, you might just help make someone's day just a little bit better. And that's always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment